Landlords' FAQs

How quickly can you let my property?

As soon as the property has been inspected, approved by the Council Inspector and all documents have been provided we will be able to let your property.

I’ve decided to lease; do I have to tell my mortgage company?

You will need to check with your lender to make sure your mortgage terms allow you to let your property.

What documents will I need to provide?

You will require the following documents to lease your property. Please use the following landlord check-list:

  • Copy of Council Tax Bill.
  • Copy of Land Registry.
  • Copy of Building Insurance Certificate
  • Copy of valid NICEIC Certificate.
  • Copy of valid Gas Safety record.
  • Copy of valid Energy Performance Certificate.
  • Copy of valid Fire Risk Assessment (applicable for flats with Common Areas)
  • Copy of valid HMO Licence (applicable for HMOs)
  • 3 FULL sets of keys.

Remember, if you do not have a valid gas safety, electric, or Energy Performance Certificate, we can arrange these for you.

How will I know what rent I am getting paid?

You will be advised of this prior to signing a contract and then following any scheduled rent reviews.  It will be set out in your contract and you’ll also receive monthly statements.

How will I receive my rent payments?

Your contract will explain when, how much and on what basis you will be paid.  This is usually monthly, by BACS. We will ask for your bank account details when you sign up.

I’m letting my property unfurnished; do I still need to provide white goods?

If the property is required unfurnished, you will still need to supply the following items;

  • Fridge freezer.
  • Cooker and oven.
  • Net and heavy curtains.or blinds
  • Carpets or other suitable flooring

Who pays the bills and Council Tax?

Whilst tenanted, your tenant will be responsible for paying all utility bills and Council Tax.  We will arrange this to be transferred to them.

When void, the landlord is responsible for paying utility bills and council tax.

Who is responsible for carrying out repairs and maintenance works?

Your home will need to meet and be maintained to the Decent Homes Standard.  There are a number of options around how you do this: from taking on responsibility for all repairs yourself, to asking us to carry them out on your behalf. If you opt to carry out repairs yourself (or with your own contractors), we will advise you of the standards and timescales you will need to fulfil. Find out more about your options, here.

Do I have to pay commission to Mears Living?

No, we do not charge commission or management fees. The rent agreed is the rent you’ll get.