Your Rent

Rent statements

To request a rent statement, contact your local branch. Contact details can be found here.

Different ways to pay your rent

Direct Debit or Standing Order

This is the easiest way to pay your rent. Once it is set up, you don’t need to worry about remembering to pay each week or month.

If you are able to pay by Direct Debit, you will be invited to complete a direct debit form when you sign your tenancy agreement, or you can set it up later by calling your local branch.

If you would like to set up a Standing Order, your Housing Officer will provide you with our bank account details and you can use internet banking or contact your bank to set up your payment.

Internet Banking

Contact us by calling your local branch to get our bank details so you can set up a standing order or regular payment from your bank account.

Debit / Credit card

You can pay with a debit or credit card over the phone by calling your local branch.  You may want to set a reminder to make sure you remember to pay on time when your rent is due.

We want to help

We understand that everyone can experience difficult times so please contact us if you are worried that you can’t pay your rent so that we can help you before it becomes a problem.

You can also get lots of useful advice and support – about benefits, paying your rent and much more – from Citizens Advice:

See our useful Guide to Universal Credit and other housing related benefits, here.

You can also check what benefits you are entitled to at turn2us or

Rent arrears

If you don't pay your rent or fall behind with your payments, you will build up arrears on your account.

We take this very seriously and could take legal action to recover rent arrears owing to us.  This could lead to you being evicted from your home.

Your rent and service charge (if applicable) needs to be paid in advance.  

If you are entitled to benefits to help pay your rent, it is your responsibility to:

  • Check which benefits you are entitled to
  • Make a claim
  • Ensure your benefits are in place for the start of your tenancy

Housing Benefit

If you are entitled to Housing Benefit, this will be paid directly to us, but it is your responsibility to make your claim. Your housing benefit may not cover the whole rent amount.  If this is the case, you need to make sure you set up payments to cover the difference.

Universal Credit

If you are in an area which has moved from Housing Benefit to Universal Credit, you will need to make a claim, even if you have previously been receiving Housing Benefit. You will need to pay your rent out of the Universal Credit payment you receive. Although Universal Credit is paid in arrears, you can ask for an advance to cover your rent which is due in advance. Find out more about Universal Credit, here

Help with claiming benefits

We can help you with making benefit claims or setting up rent payments. Ask your Housing Officer about this, or contact your local branch.

You can check what benefits you are entitled to at turn2us or

You can also get advice on benefits from Citizens Advice